Yesterday was a pretty successful day...
La Farmacia
I finally got my amoxicillin, so I should be feeling better in no time. I am already starting to. It's definitely different buying drugs here. This isn't specific to Cuenca by any means, it's similar in most non US countries I've been too, but worth describing. They have farmacias (pharmacy) all over the place and many drugs you would need a prescription for in the states, you don't need one for here. I haven't fully tested how far that goes. I did however, need a prescription for my amoxicillin, which I got from our dance (salsa) instructor from the school, who also happens to be a doctor. So that was awesome. Anyway... I went to the farmacia and handed them my prescription, which incidentally didn't even have my name on it, nor did they ask -- which makes me wonder if I even actually needed it. She went and grabbed a few boxes of amoxicillin, then just count off and cut 21 pills out of the packet. On the counter in front of her computer. I don't know why, but I just found it funny, considering in the states, they are very much seperated from the customer and it could take 45 minutes for them to fill a prescription for you.
Espanol and lunch
I had lunch at Chiplote, I sat at the bar and spoke spanish with the bar tender for awhile, which was fun. I think today, I'll do an early dinner at a different bar where I can talk to the bar tender in spanish, it seems to be a good way to get some spanish in. :)
Guacamole
I went to the market with Kim and Rebecca after school, we got all fresh ingredients (in espanol), including Avocadoes (5), Tomatoes, onion, cilantro, limes and jabeneros (we couldn't find jalepenos). In the evening, we got together at Kim's place (her host family's home) and made Guac. I've never used jabeneros before, so we chopped them up very very tiny and used very little. We only used only a half a pepper, because it burned our eyes just cutting them, even with gloves on - that was crazy. Ultimately, I think we could have used a little more, but I errored on the side of keeping it edible. :) We may try again later this week if we can find jabeneros, or maybe even if we can't. The guac was pretty awesome though, it was a huge hit and it was fun chillin at the bar with a huge bowl of guac and a few beers.
The avacadoes here are really different. They're more yellow inside than green, and the ripe ones feel like what would be an over-ripe avacado feels like at home. When you open it up, the outer part of the avacado is super soft, but the middle is on the harder side. Yet even though it's a bit hard, it still tasts like a ripe avacado, not under-ripe, like ours would. It's really strange. The skins are about half the thickness and durability of ours as well, when scooping out the avacado, the spoon is "sharp" enough to cut through the skin -- so wierd.
Finally...
And -- Allas! I found flashcards! woohoo!
I'm feeling allot better, so I'm getting more blog-inclined, if you can't tell. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment