What a fun week. Last weekend, I went to a few different clubs and did allot of dancing. we were out till about 3 or 4 am both nights. On Sunday, I went to Gualaceo, where they have a huge market on Sundays. It was great to see so many different fruits, vegetables and grains and cuancan people selling what they've grown. Everything was crazy cheap. we bought bananas for 10 cents and a pound of grapes for $1. We have some great pictures of the market and the people. We saw them load up the older woman with huge bags of grain and such on their backs, using blankets or shawls (sort of) as backpacks. Then the little old ladies would take off to wherever they were going, with a load that is bigger than they are almost.
After Gualeceo, we took the bus to Chordeleg, where they have lots of stores with different silver goods. Everything there was actually pretty expensive, but I don't know allot about silver, so it's hard to say if it was expensive for what you get or not. We had a great lunch there though, with chicken and plantains. I like the food here allot. I haven't had anything bad yet, not really.
This week was pretty busy with school again, but it's getting easier. Most days, myself and my school friends have a similar schedule... we're in school at 7:45, then do homework and eat lunch, walk around the city for a bit... then take a siesta and meet up again in the evening for dinner and drinks. We went Salsa dancing on wednesday at La Mesa (a salsa club), which was alot of fun. I've gotten home around 12 or 1 each night. Not allot of sleep overall, but it's been alot of fun.
I'm finding I can actually distinguish words when people talk fast now, which is really a huge step, let me tell you. I can understand a little bit, which is awesome. I've had lots of conversations here and there in spanish, when people are patient enough to speak a little slower. I'm loving learning spanish and have learned a ton, but I still have a long ways to go before I'm fluent, for sure. I'm hoping with two more weeks of school, that I'll start to be able to have more conversations and maybe at least understand allot more when people are talking fast. :D We'll see.
Tonight, I'm going to a fiesta with the owners of my hostel. They're throwing a big party to welcome their daughter back into town. I'm not sure where she was, but I'll find out later. It should be fun though & I'm hoping I get to speak allot of spanish. :)
For the weekend, I'm taking off with some friends from school to go do some sight seeing. we're headed to Alausi and possibly Riobamba. We're going to take the Devil's Nose Train from Alausi (normally it would be from Riobamba, but it's not working at the moment). The train winds down the side of a cliff in the Andes and is supposed to have phenominal views.
I've been fighting a cold for a few days, so I'm off to take my nap, so I can hopefully avoid getting sick. :(
No comments:
Post a Comment