Sunday, June 17, 2012

Cuenca - Random Stuff

Random tidbits, that I wanted to add:

A Delicacy
Cuy is a delicacy in Ecuador, that they have at most fiestas or any special dinner.  It's hard to wrap your head around it at first as a United Stateser, but Cuy is Guinea Pig.  So in case you're wondering what all the pics are of guinea pig looking animals in the markets... that's because it is actually guinea pig.  I haven't tried it yet, but if I have a chance before I go, I might try it. Supposedly it's amazing.  ???  I'll keep you posted if I try it. 

Espanol
I got in a bit more practice last night with the Espanol, which was great.  I found I was actually able to understand a conversation at a bit of a faster pace even, which was pretty cool.  I'm still a bit slower on the talking part, but I'll get there.  And at least I'm improving.  :)

A Blessing Ritual
During a previous walk around the city of Cuenca, we went into a market to take a look around.  There's an area where a few older ladies performing a blessing ritual to cleans and cure.  It consists of smacking the person with a leafy plant of some kind, rubbing egg on the person to cleans the bad spirits and spitting (yes, actually spitting), a concoction of (I think) sugar, water, and something else onto the person several times.  It's really interesting to watch.  I took lots of pictures of it. In some you can actually see the spitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment