Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Split, Croatia

Split was cooler than I thought it was going to be. I figured it was more of a stop over town on the way to Hvar or Dubrovnik, but it was really cute. I ended up staying a second night. It is based around a beautiful bay with clear water and an old Castle, which you can now just walk through and is filled with cafes, internet cafes, restaurants, Gelato stands, and a whole host of other stuff.

The whole town aside from the actual streets for cars, was covered in polished stone blocks. It gives the place this medieval, yet beautiful look and feel. When you're walking in teh middle of the night, the streets are still so well lit and it isn't cold really, so it feels as if you're walking inside. it's almost odd because of it. It's a very pretty city though.

There's a hill up one side of the city and you can walk all the way up. of course, the views of the city and bay are fantastic. You can walk all the way up to a zoo, which we actually only ever saw the signs for-so it's a mystery, and to the Croatian flag the sits at the highest point in Split (maybe more, but I don't know).

The other side of the city, once you walk past the ferries and follow it around for a ways, has a cute little beach and bunch of cute, cheap, and really good restaurants all along the water. Croatian food seems to be basically Fish, Stuffed Peppers, and international everything.

Off to Hvar, but unfortunately, not Dubrovnik. The times, or should I say days, that the fairy ran and the time it takes to bus it, made me decide to come back for Dubrovnik instead. I wouldn't have enough time there to do it properly. I had planned to have an additional 3-4 days in Croatia, but unfortunately, I could only get a flight out once a week, which shortened my stay. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment