After Munich, Cormac still had a few days, so he and I went to Stuttgart, where I flew out of. Erin headed to Frieburg to start making her way back to Zurich for her flight.
Stuttgart was actually pretty cool. I didn't originally think it was going to be all that special, but it had a Porche and Mercedes museum, so we figured that would be interesting enough to warrant a couple of days.
On the way to Stuttgart, we found out that apparently they have a festival that was due to start the following day, so we were initially a little worried about getting a place to stay. We spent a good amount of time trucking around, but finally found fairly cheap space in a hostel up the hill with great views of the city. Unfortunately, it also came with what seemed like 100 fellow hostellers about the age of 13, that were apparently on a field trip. It's amazing how fun running up and down halls, riding elevators, knocking on & slamming doors can be at that age. Oh well, we were happy to not be sleeping in the airport--that was plan B.
We spent the first evening walking around the city just a little, which was really pretty. They have multiple paths up the hill we were staying on behind the city, and cool fountains and such.
We was the city Gallerie, which was a really pretty building with huge fountains out front. The House of History (we actually went in this one, it was really bad), Opera House, Theatre. Then we found a great little restaurant and tried Maultaschen and Spatzle. The Maultaschen was awesome, I have to learn how to make it. Maulteschen is kind of a ravioli, but really big ones, in a beef broth. It was incredible.
We spent about a half a day in the mercedes museum and still couldn't get through it all. It was MASSIVE. It was pretty cool though. Next time, I think I'll start at the racing section and then go to the top. By the time we got down to the racing cars, we were spent. It was really good though, they had lots of additional history to put the timing of the car creation in perspective, which added to the length.
Cormac had to take off the next morning to head back to Munich for his flight, so I took a tone of Pics of the Porche museum so he could feel like he was there. :) It was very small, especially in comparison to the Mercedes museum, but it was really cool.
We also hung out in the Schlossgarten, a huge park in the middle of the city, right next to the Parliament House and Schillerplatz, another adjacent park. I ended up hanging and reading there for a few on my last day too.
Cormac's last day, we wandered around the city a bit, trying to find a good place to have a beer and just to see the city a bit more. We crossed over one main street and it's like it all just opened up into a whole new and cool area of town that we didn't know was there. lots of shops, walking streets, and a few bars. It was just really pretty. We had a beer and then headed off to a great new restaurant.
This place had the best food I had in all of Germany for sure, but rivaled the other great food of the trip. We tried the Maulteschen again at this place, which I thought, amazingly, was even better than the last. We also had a steak of some kind that was super tender and was served with the BEST potatoes. MMMM, I want to go back just for that restaurant, it was SO GOOD! I stopped there again before I left the next day. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment